Malai Kofte is one of the best vegetarian dishes and definitely my go to dish when I need to make a quick meal for guests or if there is a celebration at home. I’m sure most of you can relate to this😊
Being a vegetarian, I’m left with very few options that are low on fat and consume less oil
Though malai kofte includes a lot of malai (if you want to make a creamy dreamy dish😝) but I have an alternative to the added creams in this blog post.
The alternate without cream gravy of malai kofte is mainly made from onions, tomatoes, ginger, and cashew.
✓Here are the step by step details of the gravy of malai kofte:
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan
- Add shahi jeera to the oil
- Add chopped onion
- Saute the onions till golden
- Add chopped tomatoes, chopped ginger to the pan
- Add Coriander Powder, Kashmiri Mirch masala and salt to the pan
- Take 6-8 cashews in a separate pan and fry them till they are soft and make it into a paste
- Let the cashews cool
- Make a fine paste of all spices in the mixer
- Take another pan
- Put 1tsp oil
- Add green cardamom, cinemon to the pan
- Pour the earlier made masala paste into the pan
- Sauté it for 7-8 minutes till oil begins to separate
- Add salt
- Mix well
- Add the fried cashews paste and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add Kasoori Methi and sugar
- Add cream/malai/milk
- Top it with fresh coriander leaves
Voila! The gravy for malai kofte is ready!
✓Here is a step by step guide on how I made koftes (balls):
- Heat oil in a pan
- Sauté cashew till they turn light golden
- Add raisins and sauté them till they puff up
- Take the cashews and raisins and put them in a bowl
- Take paneer (cottage cheese), mashed boiled potatoes, salt, Garam Masala, green chillies, and coriander leaves and make them into a smooth dough
- Make small balls out of the smooth dough
- Stuff the balls with some finely chopped raisins and cashews.
- Place the koftes (balls) in AirFrayer for about 10-15 mins till the turn golden brown
And that’s how simple it is to make koftas!😋
Now all you need to do is put these balls in the gravy and you’re a chef already! 😊
- If the balls are too soft, don’t put them in the gravy beforehand. Put the balls into the gravy just before you serve them.
- If you don’t want to make a very rich creamy gravy, just replace cream with either malai or just plain milk.
If you found the blog useful, do like, comment and share it😊